23 August 2011

Getting Crafty


My sewing machine from the '60's
 A few weeks ago I decided to take a stab at making my own cloth wipes for the girls. We use so many and with another baby on the way, I thought I should probably start taking money-saving things like this more seriously. I referenced my sister-in-law's blog post and instructions and off we went to the fabric store. Borrowing my mom's surger, it took about an hour to surge 80 wipes. Done!

Even though it was so easy (I mean it was only 4 straight sides) it gave me enough of a boost to want to do more. I used to sew in middle and high school but the last thing I sewed was my graduation dress back in 2003. Now, I'm trying to be a frugal and practical stay-at-home momma and figured if I could get back into it, I could really save us some money.

Of course do I start with something easy? I'm not sure yet but I do know there are a lot of pieces and it's going to take some patience. Yet, my idea to make my own cloth pads for myself seems worth the effort. With a new baby on the way in 5 weeks, I know I'll be going through them. Granted I will use disposable for the 1st week or so, but my thought is that not only is it going to save me money since they last for years, but it's also healthier and, in reality, less disgusting going in the wash instead of a landfill where they will never decompose. Ew!

After buying the fabric a little at a time using coupons, I finally have all the flannel and PUL material cut out. I also had the idea of cutting and surging my old pre-fold cloth diapers to use as the inserts. Now all I have to do is get this old 1969 sewing machine up and running. This morning I cleaned it from top to bottom- a very unpleasant task as it was covered with mice droppings since it's sat in my parents garage/barn for about 5-10 years. That done, we're off to see if it works! I'll keep you posted on my rather big, at this point anyway, project!

3 comments:

  1. Take pictures as you go so you can show how you did it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! Sewing is the next big thing for me to learn...this year it was knitting :) I'm pretty simple when it comes to the cloth pads - I just use newborn size prefolds and fold them in thirds. They work perfectly and are so easy to throw in the wash with the baby diapers. Although, custom made and fitted ones would be nice, too! Can't wait to hear about that little one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I agree, pictures! I want to make a cute little apron. I think sewing would be so fun if I could get into it and get the hang of it! Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete